Pages

Details. . .

My photo
Reminding myself daily to bloom where I'm planted.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Bird and Bear Nicho

The base of this nicho is an empty crab meat can.  
It's a little deeper than a tuna can.
I washed it well and made sure to get rid of any odor. 


My next step was to draw and cut out a cardboard frame 
to fit the opening of the can.

I taped the frame to the can with masking tape. 
 Using my homemade air dry paper clay, 
I built up some dimension and ridges
on the frame and paper mached the whole thing. 

It took a full 24 hours to dry before
I coated the whole thing with Zinzer 123 Primer. 



The following picture is the completed piece.
I used an old greeting card for the background and some reindeer moss
for the inside surrounding edge.

The roses were made from my cold porcelain clay.
I used acrylic paints and dimensional fabric paints (which 
may be used on surfaces other than fabric). 

I coated the outside with Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel Medium. 


Because of the depth and the visibility of the outside
of the can, it needed some embellishing as well. 



I haven't finished the back yet because I have to figure out
how and if I want to hang it.

It sits nicely on a flat surface, but I think it'd be cute hanging as well. 

Once I figure that out, I'll add a meaningful quote and my signature 
to the back and give it a quick coat of the gloss medium. 



No comments:

Post a Comment